Blog Parties

Monday, November 21, 2011

My latest thrifty finds

I am itching to start decorating for Christmas. I just have to wait until after Thanksgiving.

I found lots of goodies this past week at various thrift stores to help me in my Christmas decorating.

Like I need anything else. I have about 15 bins up in the attic with Christmas stuff. But I can't pass up a good bargain.

Here is everything. Except for the grape vine garland that I forgot I have outside. I uncoiled it and strung it out trying to straighten it out some. We'll see if it works or not. I even purchased the white batting at the thrift store. I'm going to use it on my Christmas mantel. At least that is the plan. The batting was 50 cents.

I got these 8 vintage tin Christmas cookie cutters for $1.00. They were a 1/2 price item.

This ceramic snowflake candle holder was a steal for 75 cents. I already have 2 of them that I purchased in a set from Costco a few years back. I'm sure the original set of 2 was around $10.00. I think I might glitter the three of them up with some Epsom salt. I just have to find the two I already own. I did find Epsom salt at Dollar Tree.

This Spode Christmas tree plate was another steal at 75 cents. I collect this pattern.

These vintage snow globes were 50 cents each. I sense a new collection has started. I don't know why I bought them, they are kind of cheesy looking. But hey, they are vintage. And I love vintage.

My most favorite thrift store find of the week are these mini Santa mugs. I just started collecting Santa mugs a couple of years ago. And last year was the first year I started with the mini mugs. I got all 6 of these mini mugs for FREE. Yes you heard right, FREE. The woman at the thrift store threw them in for free when I purchased the larger Santa mug in the next photo.

Also in the back of the photo is a set of mini grape vine wreaths. I'll probably use them for napkin rings. Cost, 25 cents.

And here is the larger Santa mug that cost $2.00. Originally the woman at the thrift store said the mini Santa mugs would be 25 cents a piece. But since I was also buying the larger mug, she said I could have the whole lot for $2.00. Yipee!

The mini Santa mug in this photo came from a different thrift store and has a candle inside. It and the Snowman mini stack-able boxes were 50 cents each.

These 2 urns came from a thrift store down in San Diego county. We were down in San Diego last Thursday to attend my work Thanksgiving luncheon. We always hit up Amvets thrift store while in El Cajon. It was my favorite thrift store when I lived down there. How I miss that store.

I originally found them on a shelf and they were not priced. Now Amvets won't sell you anything that doesn't have a price tag. So I gave them to one of the workers. She took them in back and about 15 minutes later, I just happen to see them being brought back out, with price tags. They each were now marked $2.00, but miscellaneous was 1/2 off that day so that meant they were now $1.00 each. SOLD.

I really don't need anymore urns, but I can't seem to turn down a deal on something I love to collect. I think I will paint them Heirloom white. They may end up at Christmas topiaries of some sort.

And finally I found me some jingle bells. 2 small jingle bell wreaths and a bag of bells. They were $1.00 each. I love how they are tarnished. Hubby already snagged 2 of the bells from the bag to put on our new dog's collar.


What? I didn't tell you about our new dog? She is a golden retriever named Cookie.

I don't have any good photos yet. She doesn't sit still long enough for me to get a photo that isn't blurry.


She is a rescue dog from an elderly woman who could no longer care for her. We think she is about 5 years old. She is the perfect dog for our family. And the first dog I've owned since I was a teenager. And that was a bazillion years ago. My adult sons are beyond thrilled. This is their first dog.

Total cost of thrift store finds: $12.25 (not counting the grape vine garland I didn't show)
New dog: Priceless




Linking to:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

8 comments:

  1. Kim, you found some great items...I love those urns. I have several, but have never found two alike...
    You can start looking for the Spode plates so that you have enough to do a tablescape! LOL
    Cookie is gorgeous!
    Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You found a lot of great deals! and Yay Cookie! <3 she is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the winking Santas and Cookie is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the santa mugs. Pottery Barn has replicas of these for sale in their new catalog. Great Find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found a whole slew of vintage Christmas goodness. I haven't had much luck this year with Christmas stuff at the thrift stores. Love the little Santas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwwwwww... your new doggie is beyond adorable. And i can't wait to see what you come up with with all your finds. I was trying to do some christmas thingy for my dining room table, and i was thinking about you, and wishing i had you here to make some vignette magic...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny... I've been holding myself back from decorating until after Thanksgiving, I too found some of those mini santa mugs (which I also collect), I also found tons of Christmas stuff at the thrift stores this year... and I have way more than 15 bins in the basement AND my post today was about Christmas and I included a picture of MY dog :)

    I think we're thinking alike!

    Congrats on the new addition to your family, she really is a beautiful dog. It's wonderful that you could "rescue" her. I'm sure that her prior owner is relieved to know that she is at a good and loving home!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got a bunch of goodies! Love that white candle holder.

    If you soak the grapevine wreath you will be able to uncurl it easier. I guess you want to make a garland with it?

    Funny... I have been forcing myself to stay out of the thrift stores... I have WAY too much Christmas stuff, and it is still all packed in the moving boxes. I actually dread have to dig into more boxes. I still have Halloween sitting out in the garage. Maybe I can transfer Halloween into the Christmas boxes :/

    Your new dog looks like a real sweetie! Keep her away from the turkey leftovers cause so many dogs get really sick during the holidays. Just ask any vet!

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete